Whilst waterproof drones are great fun there are a lot more considerations that you need to take into account before purchasing one. This is due to the fact that there are so many different features with waterproof drones and thus you should be certain of exactly what features are most important to you before purchasing.
This is why we have created this buyer’s guide – to help you purchase the best underwater drone for your needs.
Where To Buy Drones
There are so many different places that you can buy drones from and they all seem to have different prices for the same types of drones. For this reason it can be very hard to make a decision on where to buy your drone.
We recommend Amazon as being one of the best places for you to buy cheap camera drones and waterproof drones. There are two reasons why Amazon is a great place to purchase cheap good drones – Firstly Amazon are always very competitive in terms of their pricing and secondly they have a great reviewing system which makes it very easy to find out what each drone is actually like from a buyers perspective. All you need to do is type in something like waterproof drones for sale with camera amazon into your favourite search engine and then you will find a big list of drones for sale on Amazon that you can review one by one. When you visit each page on Amazon just scroll down, take a look at the features of that drone and then take a look at the reviews left by buyers. If you don’t see any reviews then its probably best to avoid that product but as long as the drone that you are looking at has 3 or 4 reviews then you can read through each one and see what people actually thought of the product after buying it. If the drone gets good reviews from the majority of buyers then you know that the drone really does match up to its description.
The Top 3 Things To Look For When Purchasing a Waterproof Drone
When purchasing a waterproof drone there are a few key things that you should look out for:
- How long is the flight time – some waterproof drones have a fairly short flight time and this can limit exactly how far over the water they can be flown without risk of losing the drone
- How deeply can the drone be submerged into the water – Some waterproof drones are designed just to land safely on the water, this is ideal if you plan to fly close to or over water but you may want a drone that goes underwater in which case you need to look for a fully submergible drone.
- Can the drone fly out from under the water – Some drones can be physically flown out from under the water whilst other drones need to be manually taken out of the water before they can resume flight. You may even be looking for an underwater camera drone in which case you would need to find one that meets that specific requirement.
Beware That Not All Waterproof Drones Are Easy To Fly
One of the biggest issues faced by people who buy any type of drone, but especially waterproof drones, is mastering the takeoff and flight of the drones. It is important to understand that the ease of use can vary greatly between different types and makes of drones. Some drones are very easy to take off and fly, even for beginners, whereas other drones come with complicated controllers and are very difficult to master.
Before purchasing your drone you should think about how important ease of use is to you compared to features and maneuverability. If you are a beginner then you should consider buying a drone that is easy to use whereas if you are an advanced user with previous experience with flying drones then you might want to look for a waterproof drone that has a rich feature set and advanced maneuverability such as 360 degree spinning.
Where Not To Buy Your Drone
Whilst you can find out some great information by searching online it can be risky purchasing from an unknown website. Before you purchase a drone online you should always check that you are visiting a trusted and well known website. If the site is not well known then look for contact information, look for customer reviews and even call up and speak to the sales department – one of the most crucial things when purchasing online is being sure that the after sales support is there should you need it.
You might also see drones for sale in places like Walmart. Purchasing in a store is good because you can physically see the product before you purchase it, but they are often more expensive than online retailers and you cannot get direct access to customer reviews when you are in store. One way to get around this is to do your research online beforehand and then look for that specific drone in your local store – that way you can see it and touch it before you buy, but you also have those reviews to fall back on.
How To Pick a Drone That is Easy To Fly
In order to pick a drone that is easy to fly you should follow these pointers:
- Look for drones that have the headless feature – with this feature the drone can be taken off from any position and does not need to be physically adjusted to ensure an easy takeoff.
- Look at the reviews – When existing customers post reviews about the drone they have purchased usability is always the first thing they will talk about. By reading the reviews in detail before you buy you can normally get a good idea of how easy the drone will be to master
- Look at the controller for the drone – Some drones have very complex controllers with lots of different features whereas other controllers are very simple and just have two sticks – one for speed and one for direction. Generally speaking the simpler controllers are easier to master than the complex controllers.
Do I Need To Worry About Regulations?
This is a very good question to ask because there are more and more regulations coming in concerning the use of drones. This is especially relevant if you live in the US but also applies to residents in other countries.Before purchasing your drone you should always do some research on the regulations that apply to your country of residence.
Do I Need Any Experience Before Purchasing a Drone?
You don’t need any experience before you purchase your drone. One of the main reasons why drones have become so popular is because they are relatively easy to fly. Even the more complicated drones can be mastered in a reasonably short space of time. Because most drones come with features such as headless mode (allowing for easy takeoff regardless of starting position) and one button return to base (Allowing you to push a button on the controller and have the drone return to the position from which it took off) they are much easier to fly than radio controlled planes or helicopters.
Having said that, most drones do tend to come with an age restriction and so you normally have to be over the age of 14 to fly a drone. If you are under 14 and looking to purchase a drone then you should get an adult to purchase one on your behalf and ensure that you are always supervised when taking the drone out to fly.